Monday, February 5, 2007

Reading Stan Brakhage's gave me a completely different impression of the man than I had gathered from the films of his that we viewed in class the last couple of weeks. To my untrained eye, Stan Brakhage's films seemed as they had little unifying theme or vision. To be honest I had a hard time trying to distinguish a message from the films. But I suppose, at least in the words of Terry Linehan, that all it need do is elicit emotion. So I admit, I was somewhat surprised at the lengths to which it seems Mr. Brakhage puts himself completely into every aspect of the filmmaking process. Just his knowledge of which film types need what treatment to be spliced together. I found his anecdote on Inauguration of the Pleaure Dome to be interesting. To think that something at that high a technical challenge has been reduced to somewhat inexpensive software and a few extra video cables snaking out of your computer. After reading his article I would like to read more about this man. Especially any commentary he has on any of his films. Try as I might, I just cannot compel myself to get lost in his films. They may have moments of beautiful imagery, but i feel that it is more of a transient expression than anything. To me he seems to fall prey to what he warns against with the 3 projector set up: Are you making a film, or are you making an ornament. Something like this produced these days would make a be on a screen in the lobby entrance for a corporation nowadays. (That is not to say that I do not believe people make this their serious endeavor, i just cannot grasp the emotion). But the article does go to prove that he is an extremely talented man.

No comments: